Featured Choreographer- Samantha Wells

Samantha Wells is our featured choreographer of the week!



What are you working on in choreography class a the moment?
Right now the whole class is working really hard at creating their pieces.  I am really trying to figure out the beginning sequence to my piece, and how I want the dancers to enter the space. There are three different versions of the choreography in my piece, and I want to figure out what would work best for the overall feeling of the dance. For example, should I start with no music, and just have the movement highlighted through silence? Should I use sounds and voice with movement to make it more dynamic? Or should I use a really fun piece of music to start the project? I am now at a place where the beginning is pretty much figured out in my head, but where do I go with it from here?

Tell us about a choreographer you admire.
I am a big fan of Bill T. Jones, although there are so many amazing choreographers that inspire me. Bill T. Jones’ work is diverse and beautiful, and he usually makes a very powerful statement in his pieces. He has a film out that he created called “Still/Here” that works with people dealing with terminal illness, from all over the country.  He allows the participants to express their stories of dealing with sickness through movement. He then takes their stories and puts some of their choreography on his own dance company. The film is quite profound and empowering. I love how he uses the events and stories of everyday life and people as a means of inspiration in his work. He also demonstrates, in more ways than one, the healing power of dance, and how we can use it make an impact on the world.

I am also incredibly inspired by an all-girl dance crew from France right now called Paradox Sal. They are just so fierce! Their work is incredibly intricate and uses a lot of fast footwork, and rolling of the body, with a series of breakdowns between groupwork and solo work. I remember the first time I saw one of their pieces thinking, “How can I create movement like that?” I had never seen anything like it before, and I find myself always referring back to their work when I am looking for something different and innovative to inspire me.  Look them up, they’re awesome!

Can you tell us about your piece?
In class, we have discussed a lot about site-specific work, and about the history of the new space at ACC Highland. We have done several studies about how to work the space, and how our own histories and feelings collide with the space, and the history of the building. To me, the new space is really exciting to dance in, and I just wanted to make a piece about the celebration of “Now” and where we are at this moment in time.  So my piece is about exploring this new space, and capitalizing on how, although we are all from different places and walks of life, we are all here now, in this moment, dancing together in this new, unused dance space. It’s about rooting ourselves here and making it our home. I just want it to be optimistic, inquisitive, and full of love and fun!

How do you approach choreography?
What a good question! I think each piece is different.  Sometimes I’m inspired by writing and individual words or statements. Sometimes I’m influenced by the outside world and what’s going on in our day to day lives, and a lot of times I create solely from a piece of music that I love. I hear a piece of music, and I just HAVE TO dance to it.  So I always start with improvisation because the root of my work comes from feeling. I usually will start with a vision in my head, then I dance it out, and map it afterwards.

Why should people come to the show?
Honestly, it’s not like anything else ACC dance has ever done before. This project we are working on will take you through the entire space of the ACC Arts and Humanities department, and it allows the audience to really engage with the dancers. I think it’s going to be very interactive and exciting. Each piece is also very different from the others, so I think it will keep the viewers on their toes!

What advice do you have for someone interested in studying dance?
Show up, commit, and be open-minded to the possibilities. Whatever your background is in dance, whether you are a beginner, or have been dancing ballet since you were 5, the ACC dance department has something to offer for everybody.  But most importantly, the best advice I can give is to try to come to every class and give it your all.  If you love dance, you’re in the right place.

Comments

Popular Posts